Chinese holidays are done and now we’re back in business!
As you remember from our last update, we sent our feedback to our suppliers but had to wait for their replies because of the Chinese New Year.
Since then, there have been more components that are already in the T-off, while others are very close to being finished. T-off means that they have been finalized and cleared for mass production.
Components in the T-off
These components have been approved and cleared for mass production.
- Mylar sticker
- Rubber feet
- PET for the extras (extra switches, extra keycaps)
- Huble cover and plastic part
- Normal keycaps – PBT and ABS laser etching
- Metal pins
- Joint (on hold)
Components still being tested
Out of all the components, the only one that requires modifying the tooling is the base. The problem with the dark spots is still evident but we found the solution. We will add small holes near to where the screws are. This helps reduce the dark spots and gives a more even distribution of light.
We have also decided to add a rib to make the casing stronger. The modification of the tooling has already been done and will get its final validation next week.
The top panel is also in the final tooling process. If all goes well, it will be cleared for T-off next week.
This leads us to the joint cover.
If you still don’t know by now what the “joint cover” is, it’s the metal component that is attached to the inner sides of the 2 halves of the keyboard.
The joint is affected by the top panel. This is a tricky piece to perfect because it is affected by the base and the top panel. This component should already be cleared but we wanted to validate it again once we have the T4 top panel.
As for the special keycaps, we found out that the problems with the dimensions were really due to the mold. This isn’t a huge problem at all. In fact, it’s a difference of 0.15 mm between 2 keys. Our suppliers already acknowledged it to be a fault from their side so they will modify the mold and do one last test.
Unrelated to the tooling, the material used for the special keycaps have also already been modified. They will look exactly like the normal keycaps.
The palm pads also need to be modified but if it doesn’t work, we already have a Plan B, which won’t take too long. No need to worry about this piece.
One important thing that needs to be addressed as soon as possible is the electronics. The only problem we have with them is the certification. All the electronics are working properly, but we need to pass all certifications from a legal standpoint.
Pre-test in Valencia
We did a few pre-tests here in Valencia. We passed the EMI but still failed the ESD. We weren’t able to pass the mark but it was so close! The ESD test involves shocking the keyboard 25 times in about 8 different points on the sides and Huble. We still occasionally get a failure (about 1 in 300 shocks).
Matt, our CTO, has been trying to figure out why we still failed. Good news is we’re close to getting it fixed and ready. He will do another pre-test when he goes to China on Feb 28 to March 8. Now it’s Matt’s turn to oversee the operations and finalize the electronics and the certifications.
The main goal of his trip is to finalize everything so we can launch the DVT.
During the DVT, we will be doing a batch of 50 Dygma Raise samples. Fingers crossed, everything works and then we will proceed with mass production.
But this now means that we are pushing shipment to be more or less at the end of May.
We really wished we could push through with the best case scenario schedule but realistically it couldn’t happen. We’re doing our best to motivate our manufacturers to get the job done fast and right!
Hopefully, you’ll have you Dygma Raise with you just before summer!